In Agust I'll need to renew my Visa. Currently, I have a spousal visa. I'll have been here the required 3 years and will be applying for my Permanent Residency Visa. Can someone please advise me what's needed or provide a link that will provide the necessay information.

Thank you.

Posted on May 27, 2008

You might also like:


My God, Lowell, has it been three year already? I would check the MRE site at for the best update- What you need is covered by Resolución 255 de 2005 Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores

Basically you will apply for a Qualified Resident Visa. The following is a little sketchy but you get the idea

You will need:

Pasaporte con vigencia mínima de 3 meses.
Formulario diligenciado.
Dos fotos en color y fondo claro de 3 x 3 cm.
Certificado de Movimiento Migratorio expedido por el DAS.
Antecedentes judiciales, emitido por el DAS.
Documentos que demuestren actividad a realizar en Colombia, como independiente o vinculo con entidad pública o privada.
Si es una entidad privada debe presentar: Contrato de trabajo o documento correspondiente, certificado de proporcionalidad expedido por el Ministerio de Trabajo y Certificado de Cámara de Comercio de la empresa.
Documentos que acrediten su idoneidad.

Passport valid at least 3 months.
Completed application.
Two photos in color and a light background 3 x 3 cm.
Certificado de Movimiento Migratorio that is issued by the DAS, any office.
Antecedentes judiciales,(Criminal record check) issued by the DAS. (I don''t think you need this since you have a spouse visa now)
Records showing work in Colombia, if you plan to do so.
Letter from the wife requesting this visa
I would also have a recently certified copy of the marriage certificate from the notary.

Posted on May 27, 2008

Another question on topic:

Does one need to be physically here in the county for three years (do they deduct the days abroad) to get the Permanent visa?

For example...If I return to Canada for four months at a time, will they exend my required stay by each of those four month periods in order to bump my temporal spousal visa up to a permanent visa?

Posted on May 27, 2008

No, you may be absent from Colombia for no more than 90 calendar days at one time-the days out of the country are not deducted. Multiple entries are allowed. Be careful of this because if you remain out of Colombia past 90 days your visa will automatically expire.

Anyone interested and you Spanish is up to the task, here is information on everything concerning visas:

DECRETO 2371 DE 1996
(diciembre 27)
Diario Oficial No 42.952, de 8 de enero de 1997


Por el cual se dictan disposiciones sobre expedición de visas, control de extranjeros y se dictan otras disposiciones en materia de inmigración.


1. Derogado por el artículo 176 del Decreto 2107 de 2001, publicado en el Diario Oficial No. 44.576, 08 de octubre de 2001, "Por el cual se dictan disposiciones sobre la expedición de visas, control y regularización de extranjeros y se dictan otras disposiciones en materia de inmigración

Posted on May 27, 2008

Lowell, look carefully at your visa. I have my second spousal visa, and they both say the limit for continuous absence from Colombia is 180 days, not 90 days.

Posted on May 27, 2008

Rats, I still need my wife? I don't like being dependent on others. Does my daughter count as the same?

Posted on May 27, 2008

I concure, 180 days is the number.

Posted on May 27, 2008

Jes, 180 dias

Posted on May 27, 2008

Cédula de Extranjería Residente out of country for up to two years - Cédula de Extranjería Temporal 180 days (the individual I spoke to at DAS Bogotá said six months). The 90 days was for a different type of temporal visa

Posted on May 27, 2008

Thanks. It makes sense that they would not deduct days for absenses if Colombia is copying the US two year temporary green card for newly married spouse immigration laws.

Posted on May 27, 2008